The musings of a guy trying desperately to figure out what the heck just happened.

The musings of a guy trying desperately to figure out what the heck just happened.

Thursday, October 25, 2012

I Hate To Break it To You

(Before we begin, I have to tell you a bit about this post. I noticed a trend a while back and wanted to write about it. Then before I could post one of my good friends cut her hair and I was like oh no she is going to think this is about her (don't worry it's not), but then I saw her picture and it wasn't nearly so short as I thought it would be. Believe it or not, it is not my intention to hurt feelings, only to point out things that I find interesting enough to blog about.)

 Sorry, much like being a QB in flag football (I'm playing on a ward team right now) maintaining a blog is harder than it looks, sometimes I don't feel super inspired or prompted to write about anything. In the old days of Pete Chat I would go off on these vitriolic rants usually having to do with my lack of relationship success. It may not have been healthy but misery makes for good content generation. Now as I have completed my first two months of wedded bliss I can no longer go to that well. I just haven't been inspired to rant lately. I needed some fuel and I got it.

Have you ever noticed that there are certain things on Facebook or Instagram that will get tons of likes? Engagements, baby announcements, paparazzi style pics of ward members making out in a parked cars and new jobs usually get and deserve many likes. You should like these seminal events in the lives of people who often times you have only virtual contact with. But there is a phenomenon that also exists and was recently brought to my attention once again. Before I get to the point of my post let me remind my readers of something I have been saying for  a long time. Guys like long hair. Guys do not like their girls to have boy haircuts. You can wear our sweasthirts, but not out haircuts. Now there are surely some guys who are the exception to this rule but the overwhelming amount of us want you to keep your hair long. I don't mean Enchanted long, and I'm not talking about Katie Holmes and Rihanna's A-line cut but unless you are Natalie Portman in V for Vendetta or Halle Berry you should leave the buzz cut and it's short haired clip cousins to the dudes.

Do you wonder why this works? Because she is Natalie Portman. You are not.


There are two things that have me wondering. Why do some girls cut all their hair off when they get married, and why do people go what I would consider way overboard complimenting them for that decision? I have noticed that when a girl gets what I would call a dramatic new short haircut, that other people will fall over each other to complement to recipient of the haircut, but I feel it is mostly lies. How do I know this? Because I have eyes and and they work. As someone who has received literally hundreds of haircuts in my life, and some that may be considered dramatic ( I have chosen a mohawk the last three summers), I know that a good haircut doesn't get the attention that a poor choice of haircut does.

There is a phenomena where for some strange reason a girl cuts most of her hair off and then other people start telling her how great it looks, but it's not true, they are lying. It isn't that it is a bad haircut, it just a terrible terrible choice of a haircut. But rather than doing the polite thing and just say nothing at all, the fake compliments start rolling in. Now my good friend (and former neighbor) McMary asked me what happens when people really do like it, and to that I say shenanigans. Because when someone gets a legitimately great haircut it does not garner nearly the response that some awful short hairstyle generates. I recognize that long hair takes some work, but you know what, a lot of the things we do take work, and we are rewarded for that hard work and effort.

There are a few possible explanations for this. Maybe people just have good souls, and they want to make others feel better about their bad but ultimately temporary choices. But I don't really think that it is the haircut that is generating the response. It's what the haircut represents. In some minds it is the bold decision. The "I'm not going to let my life be dictated by invented social conventions, I can cut my hair how I want (and if I have the guy locked up already that is just a coincidence)." And in a show of solidarity the compliments start rolling in, but I'm looking at the same haircut and I know it is a bad choice. You can't blame the stylist, they are simply accepting a commission and doing what they are asked.

As a newlywed I am somewhat fearful of this happening in my own home. I love Shannon's long hair. But luckily and importantly she loves it even more than I do. While I would love her just the same if she were to cut it to Bruce Willis length I'd prefer she kept it long. But I notice how many girls get married and then chop all their hair off. Why do this? If this is something you always wanted to do, why didn't you do this before you got married. I think it is pretty suspect. There is no corollary for men. It's not like guys get married and decide you know what, I'm going to go Tom Selleck and grow a moustache. The other half of the mystery is why people fall all over each other to compliment the new style?

I don't know, enlighten me.



4 comments:

Mary said...

ok. ok. after this all blew up on facebook, i have been taking some things into consideration. why do these women all cut their hair after the wedding... this is what i have concluded:

women know men like their hair longer. thats why so many have it long. fear of cutting it and not having the best shot at love. once they are locked down they cut it - some sort of liberation. but not many of them keep it that short. they do it because now they CAN with little risk.

also, i think these women feel like now they are married they have to rebrand themselves. this happens after breakups too. same thing.

either way, i am still growing my hair out for the wedding.

Megan said...

Girls grow their hair out for their wedding so they can have an updo. Then they cut it off so they can get their manageable every day look back. In most instances the girl never meant to keep the long hair or use it to get a guy. She just wanted to look like a princess in her wedding pictures.

Ashley C said...

100% agree with Megan. My sister wanted to cut her hair before her wedding (because her husband loves short hair) until I required her to tell me how she would do it for her wedding day.

I also did my own survey on this, and even published it (http://doihavetothinkofsomethingclever.blogspot.com/2009/01/and-winner-is.html). Nearly I year later I did chop my hair, but it was mostly because I was putting it in a ponytail every day and I wanted to force myself to do something different. It worked and I discovered that I have the soul of a long-haired woman - I've been growing it out ever since.

As for the compliment thing - you can get true compliments on short hair - as I did - but they have to be multiple. The first compliment is socially obligatory. It's if you get compliments from the same person even after that when you know it's the real deal.

Stephanie said...

I'm with Mary. I'm growing my hair out for the wedding and have been for years.