The musings of a guy trying desperately to figure out what the heck just happened.

The musings of a guy trying desperately to figure out what the heck just happened.

Sunday, June 08, 2008

RTB!

Arrgggh. The Lakers series is driving me crazy. I have severe anxiety about it. Blah.

So last week my Melanie told me that Ben Folds would be in concert and and wanted to know if I was interested in going. I really like Ben's Music and have 8 of his songs on my iPod. So I was like "Sure. Of course."

When I was a senior in High School my sister Jenn introduced me to Ben Folds Five. I thought it was very cool and made sure to get the CD. I remember driving to a USC football game with some of my friends and put the CD in. They were like the is crap. I guess I was just ahead of my time.

Whenever I get dumped (happens fairly often) I listen to "Song for the Dumped" and feel better about myself. Still waiting for the Black T-Shirt. So the Larger less powerful robot, McMary, Miss Beal, Emily G. and myself went out to Wolf Trap to enjoy the musical stylings of Ben Fold's. Now as far as I know there were never five members of Ben Fold Five, which is funny in a ironic way. So it is Ben ( I call him Ben like I know him) and a couple of other guys just jamming away.

The opening act was Julia Nunes. Apparently she is a "youtube sensation". Whatever. I spent the whole time talking to my Best Friend JJ and my friend (and JJ's wife) Jennifer. Apparently all the Bad Karma JJ and I created by running roughshod over primary and scouts growing up is coming back to get JJ, as he has been assigned to teach the young people of his ward and they neither respect, fear, nor listen to him. JJ and Jenn had real seats so we bid adieu and agreed to check out an amazing Indiana Jones Golf Course some time.


We blended in quite easily. Can you tell?

It was my first time seeing a concert at Wolf Trap. It was a cool place to come and sit and bring a picnic with you. The first thing I noticed about the crowd was the absolute lack of diversity (no old civil war ships). It was like being back at BYU. Everyone looked exactly like me or the group I was with. My favorites were the couple sitting just behind and to the right. The guy was chugging an Adult Beverage directly from the bottle. It was awesome.

Ben came out and rocked the stage. He is such an amazing piano player. He plays soooooo fast. One of the weird things about Wolf Trap is that they have someone who signs the whole show in American Sign Language. Call me ignorant but I didn't know deaf people went to concerts. My friends suggested perhaps they can feel the vibration (MARKY MARK, Feel it baby, YEAH YEAH). So after Ben notices this, he decides to have a little fun with it. He starts saying bad words over and over and the poor girl is just signing her little heart out. Then he starts this little song he makes up and uses these really hard words. It was great.

No Angry Dwarves, and 3 happy faces. "I never get served."
I really only have one criticism of the concert and that was that Ben didn't play many of the songs I knew. He totally rocked and was really great, I just had hoped that he would have played more songs for us casual fans to sing along to. He played Landed which is Melanie's favorite and since it was her Birthday it was a given. Ben came out for an encore and played the fastest version of One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Face. It was speedy.
I briefly looked at buying T-Shirt but didn't love any of the ones they had. We made it back to the car and headed home, having won at the Battle of Who Could Care Less.


Landed

4 comments:

Mary said...

RTB in sign! That was a great concert. And, chin up about the Lakers... they will pull through.

Melanie Eastman said...

am I yours?

Danielle said...

Your Melanie?? Who is this? Did you know that I have a life coach i Whittier and she likes me to check in with her every few days? Do you have the same life coach?

Jenn S. said...

Ahh, good ol' BFF. Looks like fun.

miss you.