The musings of a guy trying desperately to figure out what the heck just happened.

The musings of a guy trying desperately to figure out what the heck just happened.

Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Moving Guy

Talent is sort of a relative term. What makes a talent? Most people would probably say something like the ability to sing on key, hit a baseball , or build a beautiful piece of furniture. I have none of those talents. One talent I do possess, I am a really good mover. Weird huh? Now this talent was developed later in life because for the first 18 years I had never moved. But I went to college and that was the first timed I packed up my life and moved it. By the time I finished my mission where I moved about nine times myself, I had become quite proficient at moving others as well. I have participated in a number of moves at varying levels of preparation. Sometimes I would arrive and it was simple as moving boxes in to predetermined rooms while other times it was so poorly planned that people hadn't even begun to pack yet. Now it is a honed skill, in which I would prefer people get out of my way and let me do my thing. If I need help or advice I'll ask for it. So it was no surprise when my friend Frederick asked for my help him move out of his apartment. He needed the best...so he asked the best, me. Frederick's mom was nice enough to document our endeavors.


Frederick and I started by moving some stuff out of the place he and his fiance Julia will live. I taught Frederick one of the important rules of moving. If you are on the fourth floor never do in four trips what you can do in three. We were done there soon enough and headed to the place he was moving out of.


Not only did Frederick recruit me for my moving prowess he needed me for my brute strength. We were moving stuff from the apartment to a storage container. A bed a couple of couches, and some other furniture. I looked at it and knew it would be no problem.


Frederick's dad was there to help as well as Molly and Julia. I was especially helpful because I was able to fit in the container and move stuff in and still able to get out once it was all full.

Sure it was 90 degrees and 500 percent humidity but soon enough we completed our task, and Frederick took us to dinner at Ted's Montana grill to reward us for our willingness to help. Yes if moving is a talent, I have it in spades.

4 comments:

Danielle said...

You're funny. I'm sorry to hear about Jordan's baby. My prayers are with them. I love you and SOOOOOO want you to come out here next week. You should just surprise us all and show up!

Melanie Eastman said...

This talent would be a little more useful if you owned, say, a Durango?

AJ Candrian said...

Wow, that was inspirational. WIll you help me and my 6 roommates move next month? I'll be calling you. Thanks Pete!

Tia Williams said...

Oh Peter, I would have loved to have you help me move to Blacksburg. Then I would have had you locked you in my closet and never let you leave ;)

And I had no idea Frederick is engaged!! Please send him my congrats.