
Are you watching Mad Men? If you aren’t then you should be. I must admit I was a bit late to the game. My good friend and recent newlywed Brian Rowland was the first person to mention to me that I should watch the show. From the outside, a drama about an ad agency in the 1960’s doesn’t seem to be in my wheelhouse (to borrow a phrase from the sports guy) so I put it on my list as something to catch up on at some point. Bill Simmons loved it too, so I figured I better get on board.
Finally I got the DVD’s and they were amazing (a word that when I use really means something as opposed to Andrea who describes everything from cannolis to Tostito’s Salsa as amazing). The main character of the show is Don Draper played by John Hamm. He is a flawed hero who womanizes, drinks, smokes, is not in touch with his feelings, and is not above using dirty tricks to get his way. And yet you can’t help but root for the guy. If you’ve ever wondered what people did at work before the internet, apparently they sit around to smoke, and have drinks.
When it is time to make his product pitch, he really could sell ice to an Eskimo. There are a number of other storylines that intertwine as the season goes on. Season two just came out on DVD and I am plowing my way through that now. I know that JJ, and both of my brothers in law would love this show. So if you were wondering if it lives up to all the hype…yeah, it does.
5 comments:
It's okay.
I just finished catching up on Lost so I'll turn my attention to Mad Men now. After that endorsement, how could I not? After all, everything you said about Don Draper could be said about either you or me, so of course I'm going to love it.
So good. Season 3 starts on August 16th, I think. I can't wait.
Simply awesome - Don Draper is not a "good guy" yet completely fascinating as a character.
We need to have a discussion about Don's trip to California.
I'm pretty sure that the only TV show that Marc has ever watched regularly was "24". So, unless this series involves improbable terrorism and a kick-ass vigilante, your Texas brother in law is probably not going to like it.
He's pretty much sports. all. the. time.
Post a Comment