The musings of a guy trying desperately to figure out what the heck just happened.

The musings of a guy trying desperately to figure out what the heck just happened.

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Thank You Christopher Columbus

The first thing I want to mention is my play off beard. Well I guess I really can't grow a beard but this is my best approximation. As long as the Angels remain in the playoffs, I am growing it. I realize that it is completely ridiculous but I'm superstitious and thus leery to change what is working. Please don't judge me too harshly for it.

 When I did my last post I think I focused mostly on the actual visit to the Hall of Fame. There a few other adventures and moments that are definitely worth mentioning.

Billy brought his XM satellite  radio. This allowed for what we thought would be a wide range of music, and yet it seems like Party in The USA by Miley Cyrus was on about every three songs or so (not that we were complaining) I informed the group that when my Dad calls that is the song that plays on my phone.



Our original plan was to camp in tents. After walking around all day and the temperature hovering around forty degrees that became less and less desirable. All the hotels were full in Cooperstown so we decided to drive back to Binghamton so we l could listen to the BYU Football game. Billy and Joe in particular worked to find us a hotel.

Joe called the Econo Lodge and they assured us that 1. There were plenty of rooms available and 2.There was no need for a reservation. You can pretty well guess how that worked. We drive the hour and a half, Joe walks in and the receptionist says "You're going to hate me. we are out of rooms."

We ended up at the Motel Six. The good news, they had  a room, with two beds for sixty dollars, the bad news it was a smoking room. I was the pessimist and had no desire to stay there. It must have been my Prince Peter mentality shining through. Billy the eternal optimist assured me that it wouldn't be so bad. We walked in, the room was a pit and there was a dog barking in the next room. Billy quickly became the realist and we decided to try our luck with the Howard Johnson. The room was so much nicer, and we all felt much better about it.
After considering several different ideas we decided to go to Amish country in Pennsylvania. I had never been there and was kind of excited to go there for the first time. We listened to the Angel game on the radio and I was pretty bummed how things were going. We hit a spot where we couldn't get reception. I started to monitor the game on my phone and was so pumped when the Halos came back in dramatic fashion. I was on top of the world. Amish country was quite a sight. There were in fact people getting around in buggies. It didn't really seem to be out of place there. It worked for them.



By this time we were starving. We stopped at a tourist place called Plain and Fancy. You eat family style. We got put between two couples and an old couple. The guy next to me was really enjoying his meal. I don't think I can do his words justice, but this dude went for thirds and fourths "couldi couldi couldi" I had Joe snap this picture to document our friend. I ordered strawberry pie which was not on the menu, and told our server that the people next to us would be picking up the check. They didn't find it nearly as funny as I did.

The trip was a ton of fun. We got back late Sunday night and I was able to play football on Columbus day and make it to GMAT class. A very productive weekend.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

Two words: Hot Mess.