In case you didn't know, I am a HUGE Dawson's Creek fan. I loved that show. I watched every single episode. I was thrilled when they used to show reruns on TBS. I was all in on that show. I remember coming to school the day after it premiered on the WB in 11th grade and breaking it down with my friends in Ms. Kline's chemistry class. I love that show. It had a nice run, and ended the summer after my sophomore year in college. I remember this becuase I had to work that night and I asked my roommates to tape it (remember when we used to tape things) and they forgot. When I did finally see it, I'm not ashamed to say that it got a bit dusty in the room.
Before I get to the subject at hand I want to mention that this season at a Lakers Game I saw Busy Phillips who played Audrey. She was sitting in the section right by where I would take the kids back to their parents with Nicole Sullivan from MADTv. I saw her and recognized her and becuase I was such a big fan of DC I waved like I her knew. She saw me and waved back and gave me a big smile. It was my Dawson's Creek moment.
Anyway back to summer 2005. I have plenty of time on my hands so I am just digging the TomKat story. I was really into this website called Radar. It was a lot different then it is now. The would write this totally interesting articles about Tom, Katie, and Scientology, and again I was eating it up. Tom is jumping on a couch, Tom is lecturing Matt Lauer, Tom and Katie are in Paris. It was riveting to me. Again I had nothing to do. I would go out on a limb and say that there are a number of guys my age who have a special place in their hearts for Katie Holmes. I mean she is Joey Potter for goodness sake. I worried about what Maverick would do to her. I hoped that Pacey (not Josh Jackson but the character Pacey Witter) would come and save her. And then you know what? They lived a pretty quiet existence. Just Tom, Katie, and adorable baby Suri with her burn book ( you know what you did Violet Afleck) doing things that insanely wealthy, glamourous, and famous families do.
That all came to an end over the last week. And I am as sad as someone can be, who had a passing but brightly burning interest in a celebrity couple with whom a connection and affinity is developed because of an appreciation with their work from years ago.
It can't have been easy to live in the spotlight (although the fame, money, and access might have helped) and have your entire relationship under scrutiny for its veracity and foundation. I don't think we should be surprised the marriage didn't work out. For every Burns and Allen, or Newman and Woodward, their are many HumpDash, Brand/Perry endings. I suppose people are happy that Katie escaped Tom and his clutches. But rather than that I am sad that another family is splitting up, even if it was one people were skeptical about.
Sorry Joey, not even Dawson and the gang could have fixed it.

1 comment:
Love this post! Can we hope for a DC reunion now??
Post a Comment