The musings of a guy trying desperately to figure out what the heck just happened.

The musings of a guy trying desperately to figure out what the heck just happened.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Let The Shaming Begin


These are my sisters. Jennifer and Chrissi. I love them them tremendously. They give me good advice, they listen to my troubles, and they are both awesome moms to my nieces and nephews. And yet I have a problem with them. They NEVER come to visit me. Despite the fact that I have visited them at least once a year, they have not found the time or had the inclination to visit their only brother. That of course being me (imagine the sad Pete Chat face). Now I know they have very busy lives, that it is easier for them to have me visit than vice versa, but after more than four years living here, I think it is about time.

What you might ask is the genesis of this post? Jealousy. On sunday my neighbor Wendy had her sister and brother in law and their kids in church. Wendy was getting all sorts of attention, and I was frankly jealous. Not to take anything away from Wendy who is a lovely person, and has a Whittier connection, but I think most of the attention was generated as a result of her sister's kids. It made me think, why my sisters don't visit? How after the many trips to Toys R US, the amazon packages with videos, or toys, and the bragging about how great it is to be Uncle Peter, that neither Chrissi nor Jennifer has ever come to visit me since I have lived in the Washington DC area.

Imagine how my Q score would be in the Colonial if I had these to show in person plus young Master William.

So I am starting this campaign to get my sisters to visit before I turn 30 on November 19th.



I will preemptively address their concerns.

1. We're busy. -True but sometimes sacrifices have to be made for family.
2. It's expensive. -Life is expensive, and you can't put a price tag on family.
3. The kids have school. -School is overrated.
4. We just saw you. -It's been longer than you think.
5. We told you we would come. -Yeah but you haven't.
6. You don't need to use our kids to get dates, you are plenty skilled on your own. -True, but it certainly wouldn't hurt.

My sister Jennifer thinks that sending Marc here later this month is enough. I say it is an act of good faith but just a starting out point.

I would like my sisters to come and visit me here and see what my life is like. Just for a weekend that is all I am asking for. That is why I will periodically be using my new media presence to encourage them to commit to coming for a visit. I will be turning to Facebook, Twitter, Google Buzz, and even LinkedIn, if I could figure out how it would help me professionally. I have also considered starting a grass roots email write in campaign where friends can send emails to Jenn and Chrissi telling them why it is so important they visit me.

Don and Marc are not totally off the hook either. I tried to get them to meet up with me in Chicago for an Angels game and was given some excuse about needing advanced warning, and it being Father's day weekend.



My Dad, I have all but given up hope of him ever visiting again. He has virtually nothing keeping him tied down in Whittier, but seeing as he doesn't know how to turn on a computer I'm not sure how effective a new media campaign would be on him.

 But at least he and my mom came for a visit in 2006.



So my dear sisters you are officially on notice. Make plans for a visit...SOON!

6 comments:

Mary said...

i would like to donate my time to this campaign.

i also would like to agree: School is overrated.

Jenn S. said...

Pete, I will come for your 30th Birthday. It will likely just be me and Will, but I promise I will do it. Probably William will want to run around the foyer during sacrament, so I doubt he will score you any dates, but it would be my pleasure to see where you live and work (oh yeah, same place)and meet your friends. And you know I am good on my word.

Jenn S. said...

PS - Was Kate ever really that little?!

chrissi said...

firstly...how dare you sir!!!!

ok listen, I have been on a Thanksgiving plan just as soon as I found out we get the week off. But then Don told me we have enough points for Hawaii then i re considered. Don can't do hot and humid..he is a pain in the ass when he is hot. So summer is most likely not happening.

I have been trying...if Jenn comes then I will come. Probably just me because IT IS EXPENSIVE!!!

Stephanie said...

You present a very strong case, Mr. Dorsch.

Dorsch 2040.

Danielle said...

Ok, can I come?

Also, I will volunteer to go watch the chillins so your sisters can come visit you. So, they really have no excuse.