The musings of a guy trying desperately to figure out what the heck just happened.

The musings of a guy trying desperately to figure out what the heck just happened.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Thoughts on a Tuesday

I'm worried about something. Not the traditional things people worry about. I am worried that people aren't into blogging anymore. Are people still reading blogs? I think I follow about 30 blogs or so. Some people are championship level bloggers. I am referring to you Amber Jensen and you Marlyse Keeton. But many of the people whose blogs I follow almost never update. I have found the even I am blogging less than I used to. It's not like I have I don't have things to write about, but I'm just not generating as many posts or as much content as I would like. As a result I feel like my writing has suffered because of it. Yesterday in fact I was scribing a terse but not caustic email and kept having to rewrite it so as to ensure that I had the proper tone. I think it worked out. In any event my fellow members of the blogosphere, keep writing because I am still reading. And keep commenting, because my entire life is still validated by Facebook and Pete Chat comments. I'll do my part and comment more.

I felt this post needed more pictures so here is a random picture of Gavin and I.

So I have a few things in mind for posts coming up on Pete Chat. Something like four years ago Dan Nelson and I spent a morning discussing how we would cast the Godfather if it were people from the Colonial Ward. I made myself Michael (I know self glossing), Dan is my consigliere so naturally he was Tom Hagen. I don't remember everyone else but I'm pretty sure, David was Johnny Fontaine, Derek was in there somewhere, and even years later Mary has not forgiven us for casting her as Connie. It would have made a great blog post but I never got to it. So right now we are in the middle of one of the best seasons in BYU basketball history (slight hyperbole perhaps) but it has been so great. I have never watched so many BYU BB games in my life, even when I was at school and had season tickets. We have a great crew who gets together (Dan, Joe, Chad, Julie) to watch every game thanks to the goodness of Lynne Johnston and Joe's sling box in Utah. When it's game day I fly the "Y" flag that my sister Jenn sent me for Christmas, and we crack open a few IBC rootbeers once the game is in hand. Last week we had one of our biggest crowds yet to enjoy the Jimmer drop a quiet 40 on CSU. Even Elie Olave at two months old, (Nikki and David came too) came over and seemed to enjoy the Cougar victory.

By now you surely know about Jimmer Fredette. He's a scoring sensation for the Cougars, and has passed Hacksaw Jim Duggan as the greatest resident of Glenns Falls, NY. Jimmer and his brother TJ are very popular at my house.


OK, so what does this all have to imaginary movie casts? Well, as Jimmer was dropping the aforementioned quiet 40, I made the comment "You cannot stop Jimmer Fredette." A paraphrase of Dan Nelson's young nephew informing his family, "You can not stop Fui Vakapuna." Julie was reminded of the line from Remember the Titans "You cannot replace a Gary Bertiere." And this led to the tangent, if we were to cast the Jimmer Fredette story who would play the roles.

There was a combination of Hollywood casting and friends casting. Initially I went with the Wahlberg brothers Mark as Jimmer and Don as TJ, but I think there would be some believability issues as far as  height is concerned. So I'm still looking at other actors. I don't want to give up too much, but the roles of Jackson Emery (and Emery Jackson), Greg Wrubell, and Coach Dave Rose have already been cast. I will tell you that the front runner for the role of Jimmer's girl friend Whitney Wonnacott is Kate Bosworth. Keep an eye out on Pete Chat for what  is surely to be an epic post.




In December my ward had its Service Auction. I bought hockey tickets and the game was last night. I am not a huge hockey fan, ( Birthday Boy Brian "B-Rock" Rowland is. Happy birthday B-Rock. We'll hit up Mad Wolf some time this year.) but it was fun to go and cheer the Caps. Unfortunately they lost in a shoot out. Before the game we had dinner at Potbelly's and ran into a few other LDS there. I was reminded of a song I quite enjoy. That song will be revealed later in the week, as it reminds me of a special story that might be kind of fun for Pete Chat.


My sisters Jennifer and Chrissi claim to be coming for a visit in the Spring and my cousin Danielle says she is in too. Please forward me your itinerary as soon as you have it.



7 comments:

Brian said...

Thanks for the shout-out, Peter. You are lucky that you can see Ovi live any time that you want. You should take advantage of it!

I think I am going to Mad Wolf this weekend. I will get an extra "sank you" in your honor.

Fufoo said...

Peter- you cannot imagine what it does for my self-validation to not only get a nod as a cougar BB regular, but then to get quoted on Pete Chat! Wow. I'm at a loss.

BTW it was a quiet 42. It was just really quite, so you missed the last 2 free throws. Jimmer is a humble man that way. I can't wait to see his story on the big screen. By "big screen" I mean the large television at your house, and by "story" I mean Joe's dramatic reading of the SI cartoon while Jimmer scores a quiet 52 on the Aztecs.

Mary said...

connie?!?!?! seriously, she is responsible for the entire downfall of the entire corleone family, and its all over some stupid guy she is with. ugh.

p.s. i have a crush on jimmer.

Danielle said...

Ok listen. I blog every now and then and no one comments. So I'm kind of over it.

I valiently looked at flights and have not heard back from people in Whittier and Dallas about their plans. I know they have kids and stuff but I think it's important to just ditch the kids and come visit you.

mom said...

Honestly, I am more a football fan than Basketball, but anything BYU suits my fancy. I love Provo and the Creamery - the Mint Frosting Brownies! Anyway, did Joe tell you that Brady Poppinga (Green Bay Packers) is in our ward at home (Agoura Hills, CA) but this is the "pits" - he can't play in the Super Bowl because of an injury. I never did quite understand what Joe was doing in order for you to see the BYU games but I'm happy it all works out. Yeah for BYU Joe's mom

Shandi Elise Hill said...

You inspired me. I just posted something after not doing so for about four months. :)

Nicole said...

Peter, I love your blog!! I know I rarely comment but I think you have great insight which makes me think about things I wouldn't necessarily think about. It's also a great way to keep tabs on you...;) Keep it up!

P.S. I'm going to run over to my blog to update!!

Love your cousin,
Nicole