The musings of a guy trying desperately to figure out what the heck just happened.

The musings of a guy trying desperately to figure out what the heck just happened.

Friday, April 20, 2007

Intimidated by a four year old

This is Bronte. Next month she will turn five. She is a delightful little person and my second niece. She is very sweet and quite adventurous. She goes to Nursery school and enjoys Eloise. She is by all accounts a typical four year old. I ran into another four year old yesterday who wasn't quite so sweet.

As some of you know I have just moved to a new place (details of that forthcoming). There is a bus stop about a 100 yds from where I live and the bus takes me right to the Metro. It is actually quite convenient. I was pretty excited about my trip to work. Sure I had forgotten my iPod but I had my book about Barry Bonds ( a recommendation of B-Rock's that I have really enjoyed). I was looking forward to a quiet ride to work and doing a little reading. The bus was pretty crowded but I was able to find a seat towards the back of the bus. That is where I ran in to him. Although he doesn't have a name my roommate Dan (also on the bus) described him as pumpkin headed haircut kid. The kid was absolutely peeved that I had chosen that spot and that he wouldn't be able to put his feet up. Although he addressed his dad it was perfectly clear his comments were directed at me. There was a fair amount of weeping and gnashing of teeth from his part. A couple of times I glared back like a closer in from the Bullpen. I was giving short burst of my look of death but this kid would not back down. I went back to my book but the kid was relentless. He blasted his dad with a couple of tiny fists and all heck nearly broke loose when he dropped his sippy. By the time I got off the bus I was shaken. I'm sure I felt the way Troy Percival did when he gave up that big bomb to Barry Bonds in the 2002 World Series. But like Percival I will bounce back. Virtually the moment I got to work Dan was emailing me about my performance on the bus. Yes, it's true...I was intimidated by a four year old.

1 comment:

Brian said...

Atta boy!