The musings of a guy trying desperately to figure out what the heck just happened.

The musings of a guy trying desperately to figure out what the heck just happened.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Babies Everywhere

A few thoughts before I get to the meat of this post.
  • I never thought that my Monday Haiku would generate so much discussion. Kim consulted a linguistics site and their conclusion is that it can be one or two syllables. It just depends on how you say it. Fi-err or Fyr. Not sure if that make sense but I am sticking with it. I will be more careful with my Haiku in the future.

  • I was indeed on ESPN/CSPAN yesterday. I took mugging for the camera to an all new level. I will in the near future be devoting an entire post to this. Jordan you would have been so proud.

  • It's restaurant week here in DC. Last night Dan, Kat, Amber, Carolyn and I went to the Melting Pot. It is very good but also a little complicated. Thank you Amber for taking care of the Dippy. Our server's assistant had a little trouble with the whole water vs. lemonade thing. Bless her heart. She meant well.

  • I used FHE this week for an opportunity to bolster my "What I've Learned" project. People don't be shy, tell me what you've learned. peterdorsch12@gmail.com

  • In the new year I want all of you with Blogs to recommit yourselves. I notice a number of blogs that aren't getting updated often enough.
  • MF Josh Rose got a new job. I think I'm going to get a Honda. You rock Josh. Congrats.

  • Matt and Michael seem to be adapting nicely to the Melrose. Welcome gentlemen.

  • If you think you can only eat three pudding cups, you can probably eat four. Keep that in mind.

Everyone is having kids. Seems like I have new babies all over the place. Either my friends are expecting or have a new arrival or planning on kids some are even working on number two. I find it amazing and strangely bizarre. I mean these are my contemporaries and they are now dads.

One might think that with fatherhood a certain amount of maturity would occur. And I guess that to an extent it has. At the very least a sense that life is much more serious and permanent but essentially these are the same guys who I was toilet papering houses, singing along to Nelly with and otherwise acting dumb. Now they are dads. It's weird.



My best friend Jordan. I missed his wedding, and the birth of his child. Maybe at some point I will be there for one of the seminal moments of his life. Here I am holding Madison his little girl.
When I drove up with my sister and her little family to Utah over the break we stopped in Las Vegas for breakfast. Jordan's wife Marlo (mwalburger3.blogspot.com) is a Vegas native so that were there for the holidays. Jordan brought Madison to meet us for breakfast. Truly a strange moment to see the guy who I've done so many stupid things with, there accompanied by his baby.
Hadley and I. Kenny assured me that if Mormons did the "Godfather" thing I was in the running.
Even my interns are having kids. One of the things I wanted to do while I was in Utah was to meet Hadley Scout. Was I was in Utah during November she had not yet arrived. They day she was born I had a feeling that I should call Kenny to see how the baby was. It turns out that at almost the exact moment I called, Kenny was told by the doctors to come into the delivery room.
Hadley was an awesome baby and she let me hold her for quite a while before she wanted to go back to her dad.
What does this mean? Is this a sure sign of the Apocalypse that my miscreant friends are reproducing at a sometimes alarming rate? I guess not. As much as I hate to admit it, we're growing up. We have things like mortgages, 401k's, and all the other stuff that goes along with adulthood (although I have none of the things I just mentioned). So I guess it is only natural that my friends are having kids too.
So congrats to Thomas, Jordan, Brett, Brent, Jim, Kenny and all the rest who have babies popping out all over the place.

This is my awesome Brother in Law Don. Fatherhood has brought him a new level of patience. And he needs it. His kids are wonderful and Re-Lent-Less. I still haven't been able to blog about that car trip. The memories are still a little too raw.

4 comments:

Jenn S. said...

Fun post - will you email me the link to CSPAN?

Tia Williams said...

Wow... evidently I missed lots of posts! Sorry, Petey. By the way, I feel you on the baby thing. It's not just a mormon phenomenon... evidently it's a souther/christian thing too.

Miss you! If you get a car soon does that mean you are going to come visit me?

Danielle said...

Look at my blog immediately. You will love it.

Daniel said...

Luke...I am your Father.

Sincerely,
Darth Vader