I am pretty happy about the fact that I regularly get invited to parties. I guess it is some sort of validation that my presence at an event will at the very least not have a negative impact on the occasion. It has become customary to send out an Evite. I imagine that the vast majority (all ten of you) that read my blog know what an evite is. Basically it is an online invitation. It is quite handy because you can send out an email to people regarding your event and the details associated with it. I have no problem with this. It is a rather practical way of getting the info out. For those invited you can see who else made the list and who will be attending and who won’t be. I do have two small things that bug me about this though.
First- I understand that it is polite to RSVP if you are asked to do so. I have no problem calling the host and saying, yeah I’ll be there or no I won’t but thanks for the invite. That is just fine. What I find irritating is that on an evite you respond so that every can see your response. Now there may be a way to turn off this feature, but really I don’t want the whole guest list to know whether I will be there or not. Just takes away from the mystery of it all. But truly this isn’t a really big deal. I’ll probably continue to do this begrudgingly.
What really annoys me are the comments people leave associated with their response. I give a little leeway for comedy (although most people who try to be funny aren’t and should stay away from comedy) because occasionally it will be topical and actually funny. No, what is really lame is when people give explanations as to why they won’t be there or why they might be there. Guess what, I don’t care. I don’t care if you are at your sisters wedding, you are taking the LSAT the next, day, your dog Tippy is being euthanized, you have to get botoxed (is that a verb?) or any other of the lame reasons why you won’t be there. You are not interesting. A simple no is just fine, totally adequate, and very appropriate. Am I a hypocrite? Probably, I imagine I have done this a number of times, but the last time I received an evite and read the responses, I thought to myself, “Why are people telling me this? How could they think that their appointment with the podiatrist is somehow relevant to me or the people who are hosting the same party/dinner/bbq/bris that occur every weekend?”
So people, what I am saying is; just think before you post your reply to the next evite you get. It probably isn’t funny, and it almost certainly isn’t relevant. Sort of like this blog entry.
5 comments:
Wow. I hope you respond to my evite. I really want you at my party.
I seems like somebody has a case of ZTF. Way to go.
Sometimes I find myself with a desire to say something witty on an evite...then I think, no one cares why I am cominug or why I am not. So generally, I don't RSVP, it is better that way.
Sorry I didn't comment earlier. This weekend I was running errands buying things for a wonderful Crock Pot dinner and attending a collegiate athletic event. Otherwise I would have commented earlier - in between not watching TV because, "I don't really watch TV."
Oh wait...sorry Peter.
Post a Comment