Happy Valentine's Day all. I have yet to decide which of my girlfriends I will be spending the evening with*. I guess we'll just have to see.
After I took this picture (Shout Out To Kenny) I told Randy... Thanks Dawg.
We all have our pet peeves. Those little things that bug us but really shouldn't. One of my pet peeves seemed to rear its ugly head repeatedly last night as I was watching America's most popular program. Now I preface this by saying that I may make this mistake myself, and in so doing render myself a hyporcrite. It is even possible that I don't truly understand this principle and I have it all wrong. What ,you might ask is annoying me so much? That would be misuse of the word "good" as an answer to a question.
It happened like this over and over.
Randy: How you doing Dawg?
Idol Contestant: Doing Good.
Paula: How are you sweetie?
IC: Doing Gooood.
Simon: I am a pompous English ass with weird hair, how are you doing?
IC: I was doing Good.
Guess what? Unless you are feeding orphans, reducing your carbon footprint, guiding the blind you are not doing good. Doing "good" is serving others, improving your community, rescuing puppies, or curing diseases. That is doing good.
You are not doing good. You are doing well.
Now this may seem insignificant to you (and it is) but practice it and see how much more eloquent you sound when you replace good with well.
How are you doing?
I'm doing well.
See? Much better. Jim beat me to the punch on litterally vs. figuratively which is another one of my pet peeves (from now on I will call them Pete Peeves).
From this point forward you need never make that mistake again. Now that is what I call "Doing Good."
*I have no girl friends so I am contemplating staring into my mirror and asking myself "What went wrong?" That or my neighbors are having a party so who knows.
8 comments:
Sophisticated has a new name...and it is spelled W-E-L-L.
Thank you...I am doing well.
First of all, as you sit staring into the mirror- I sat with Ashlee last night and watched that very program. Which, frankly, pisses me off: why are we so close, doing the same thing? Next time, we watch together.
Now, I am so glad you made the right choice and came over to our party. However, I would like to remind you that we are friends first, who happen to be neighbors.
Finally, things do good. People do well.
Good night.
It is appropriate, however, to answer the question, "How are you?" with "Good."
I totally agree with you only because of an experience. It happened sometime in my sophomore or junior year in high school. I would spend a lot of time with Allison Madjeski. She was quite academic, athletic and good at everything besides just being good. Then one day she asked that common question, "how are you?" "Good," I responded. Boy did I get a licking for using English incorrectly. I think it really went under her skin that I said "good" in lieu of "well". After that explanation and experience I have always remembered to say "I'm doing very well, thank you." Later on in college she studied pre-med but enjoyed English so much so that she did a double major both in pre-med and English on top of her basketball career.
It's appropriate that you bring it up because people need to hear it. ;)
I am with you on this one Dorsch, I was corrected by my father constantly while growing up so I feel the need to correct people as well. I am doing well thank you.
Peter, you are very intelligent. Now, you could write a blog on how I use "luxury" in the wrong sense.
On a completely unrelated note, I wonder just how many people upon meeting Randy Jackson for the first time,use the term "dawg" somewhere in their greeting.
I wonder just how annoying that must be for Mr. Jackson.
Literally. I do wonder.
So I just want to get this straight, "I am good" is proper because good is modifying a noun, as in me, a person? "I am doing good" is improper because good can't modify a verb? When should we have learned this stuff? This is why I read petechat, so I can grow.
Post a Comment